We all want to feel safe and protected inside our homes. Home is the place where we go when we want to relax, recharge, and have fun with our family. Inside our homes, we feel guarded against the dangers of the world. Unfortunately, some houses could pose a threat to their owners due to faulty or outdated electrical wiring.
As a responsible homeowner in Apollo Beach, Florida, you must pay attention to electrical warning signals. Eliminating possible electrical malfunctions before they become problems can prevent expensive repairs down the line or even protect your home from an unexpected fire. Since not all electrical issues are easy to identify, you need to know what to look for. Here are some signs to pay attention to.
If Your Lights Flicker or Dim
Light fixtures usually require very little energy to operate, so when you notice them dimming or flickering, it rarely indicates that there is a problem with the light fixture itself. Typically, it is a sign of a circuit overload, which could happen when a powerful appliance, such as a washing machine or space heater, draws energy from the same circuit. To solve the problem, consult an electrician about moving lights to different circuits or installing dedicated lines for major appliances.
To stop the flickering, sometimes all you might have to do is to change a loose or defective light bulb. However, if this does not help, the problem might be in the light fixture, in the loose connections to the fixture, or in your home’s electrical wiring at the circuit breaker. To properly diagnose and fix these issues, you should schedule an inspection by a licensed electrician.
If Your Fuses or Breakers Trip Frequently
Circuit breakers and fuses serve as overload prevention mechanisms when too many appliances are plugged into one outlet. They cut off electrical supply so wires don’t overheat and start burning. If a breaker regularly trips or you blow a fuse when you use a certain appliance regardless of where it’s plugged in, consider checking for problems with the appliance. However, if this happens every time you use a particular outlet, you might want to speak with a professional about upgrading the circuit or replacing an old breaker.
If Strange Odors Come From an Outlet or Breaker
Beware of any strange smells coming from electrical equipment; they could point to some serious electrical problems.
While new appliances might produce certain odors the first few times you use them, a strange smell coming from an outlet, fuse box, or breaker could indicate a dangerous electrical issue. A burning odor coming from an outlet could be a sign of a faulty device or, worse, the start of an electrical fire. If you detect any kind of odor, unplug all your appliances, turn the power off, and call a professional right away.
If a Buzzing Noise Comes From an Outlet
A buzzing sound coming from an outlet could indicate an electrical issue such as loose prongs or outlets or a fraying wire. Any of these issues cause jumps in the current resulting in the buzzing sound. If everything works properly, the flow of electricity is smooth and produces no sound at all. If you hear the buzzing noise at the outlet, stop using it and call an electrician.
If Your Kitchen or Bathroom Has Incorrect Outlets
Water is a great natural conductor of electricity. For us to be safe when taking showers or cooking, kitchens and bathrooms must have GFCIs (ground fault circuit interrupters). These are special outlets that provide shock protection around water. They look slightly different from standard outlets and usually come with two small buttons in the middle. If your kitchen or bathroom has the same outlets you see in the rest of the house, consider speaking with a professional about replacing them.
If you notice any of the above signs or if you suspect that your house might have an electrical malfunction, contact our professional electricians at Luminous Electric at 727-440-4511. Don’t hesitate to speak to our specialists about all your electrical needs.
Image provided by Shutterstock